A Tale, A Tutorial, & A Tease

Advertisements .

I thought I'd tell you a bit about my table. I found it at a thrift store last year. It's old and very sturdy. Years ago someone put a stain/varnish on top of the existing finish, probably to hide scratches, but it made it look like a really bad faux wood finish (the picture shows the drawer with the original finish). The drawer front was broken, fortunately all the pieces were inside the drawer. The trim around the top had a chunk cut out of it, probably to make it fit into a certain area, or to have a spot for electrical cords to run down.
A well built piece of wood furniture always melts my heart, especially if it's an orphan that needs a home. So, even though I had no clue where I'd put it, it came home with me. I used a heat gun to take off the "faux" finish, which peeled off quite nicely. I pulled off the trim and replaced it with a decorative moulding. Then I gave the whole piece a good sanding, still leaving some of the signs of wear. I choose to paint it by hand because there is just a feeling I get from brushing on paint that I don't get with spray. I feel kind of like I'm bonding with the piece and honoring it's craftsmanship (I know, I'm strange!). I painted it black because black is elegant but neutral, and I know this table will probably move around my house.

After finishing the mirror, I noticed that the moulding on the table had a similar detail (a happy coincidence), so I decided to use my silver Rub 'n Buff to add detail.
Since some of you asked how to use this product, I made a tutorial:

Squeeze a small amount on your finger.
A little of this stuff goes a looong way!
(Ignore the fat fingers!)
Lightly RUB your finger over the area you want covered.You can add a small amount of R'nB on a
stiff bristled brush to help with the details.
(Notice that I cut down the bristles
on the brush to give me more control)
After it's dry, you can go back over it with a soft cloth 'N BUFF to make it shine.Oooooo, looks like I'm almost done with my table.
Can you guess what Monday's post will be?

0 komentar:

Post a Comment